Our Ethos, Values, Strategy and School Improvement Plan
Ethos, Values, Strategy and Improvement
For more than two hundred years St Peter’s Church of England Primary School has been committed to serving the community of Portishead; it is our commitment to both protect this heritage and continuously innovate and improve so that present and future generations may also benefit from a school committed to excellence as standard.
Our Vision for Excellence as Standard is summed up in this way:
“..the excellent school is a place where people care more than others think is wise, risk more than others things is safe, dream more that others think is practical, and expect more than others think is possible…” Roy Blatchford
As a Teaching School we aim to share our expertise and experience with those entering the profession and the wider community of schools within and beyond Lighthouse Schools Partnership
This policy is designed to describe our vision for what we aspire to be and how we will achieve this goal through our strategy and improvement plan.
Our commitment to Excellence as Standard is set within the broader framework of our ethos as a Church school.
Valuing Others, Valuing Ourselves, Valuing our Learning
Recognising its historic foundation, St Peter’s will preserve and develop its religious character in accordance with the principles of the Church of England and in partnership with the Church at parish and diocesan level.
St Peter’s aims to serve its community by providing an education of the highest quality within the context of Christian belief and practice, welcoming all regardless of their faith or belief. It encourages an understanding of the meaning and significance of faith and promotes Christian values through the experience it offers to all its pupils.
We want to see all in our community experience “life in all its fullness” and will ensure that wisdom, hope, community and dignity permeate our vision for the education we offer. (Church of England Vision for Education July 2016)
Our vision for St Peter’s
St Peter's Church of England Primary School is a welcoming, inclusive family with a strong Christian ethos, a vibrant community, and a commitment to excellence for staff and children.
We are a school where in a nurturing environment our children and staff feel secure and develop enthusiasm and confidence to learn and achieve.
Our learning environment is exciting and encourages all to participate.
Our curriculum is stimulating, broad, creative and relevant, and focused on the whole child so that they are well prepared and equipped for the future.
Behaviours for Excellence as Standard
- We enjoy together. We support and challenge each other to be the best we can be.
- We are committed to developing every child’s potential to be an ‘expert’ by enabling children to be courageous, resilient and determined.
- We create and model learning opportunities that inspire, encourage and support our pupils to achieve mastery.
- Our children are empowered to develop and own their own learning with clear purpose in all they do.
- We encourage constructive critique to move learning forward.
- We nurture relationships that are based on trust and respect, and value everyone’s contribution.
- We actively seek to work in partnerships with parents and carers.
- We actively encourage a culture of innovative practice, and confidently share this knowledge with others around us.
- We learn from other schools in a wide variety of networks.
- Through our partnership with Portishead Church of England, and in particular St Peter’s Parish Church we seek to enrich the lives of all in our community
- Our leadership is strong and shared, leads by example, enables and motivates, and constantly strives to ensure excellence in all we do.
Strategy & Improvement Plan
By applying our Vision and Behaviours, our strategy and plans will focus on areas that will deliver the best outcomes for our children.
Our three year goals are:
- To maintain and deepen Outstanding School status with continued excellent outcomes for all children.
- To maintain and deepen our Outstanding Church School Ethos by educating for Wisdom, Hope, Community and Dignity.
- As a Teaching School share outstanding practice with others to enhance pupil outcomes.
Our annual School Improvement Plan prioritises those areas of focus (which may be driven by local and national government initiatives). In producing the plans account is taken of data from both children’s achievement and feedback from the school community.
To help us towards our vision we embed Christian Values into our curriculum. Every term children will consider one of the following values and links will be made to their learning in other subjects: Friendship, Thankfulness, Joy, Belonging, Encouragement, Compassion, Truthfulness, Honesty, Co-operation, Trust, Justice, Courage, Creativity, Humility, Responsibility, Peace/Forgiveness, Respect and Hope.
We also actively promote the fundamental British Values of:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
These values are taught as part of our board and balanced curriculum and specifically through Religious Education and PSHCE. We also foster these values through a variety of different activities in school e.g. Collective Worship, Our School Council, House Captains, discussion of current affairs and our Behaviour for Learning policy.
Please lick on the PDF to see a summary of the School Improvement Plan for 2017/8.