Use of Primary School PE & Sports Funding
Funding received 2014 – 15 £9884, 2015-16 £10,085, 2016 - 17 £10,154
We have a strong tradition of sport at St Peters and are proud to offer our pupils many varied sporting activities. We have used our sports funding to further develop this in the following ways:
- We have 2 professional sports coaches to support and deliver some of our PE provision ensuring that all pupils have at least an hour of PE a week delivered by these specialist coaches.
- Sports coaches work with staff on an individual basis to help them achieve their Personal Sports Action Plan
- To enhance our lunchtime sports provision - sports coaches work at lunchtimes and run activities and clubs to enable all pupils to take part in organised sports during their lunchtime. The events are suggested by children and reflect their interests , for example a girl’s football session once a week. These activities include competitive games and activities that will feed into our new house system.
- Sports coaches run at least 6 after school sports clubs that approximately 150 children attend each week. These clubs will change on a termly basis to ensure that as wide a range of interests as possible are catered for.
- To fund our participation in cluster and county sporting competitions. Last year, St Peter’s took part in more than 20 competitive sporting events at a cluster and local weather.
- To enhance our school sports days – this year we had a family Day Sports Event for pupils in Years 1 – 6 and 3 competitive sports days (FS, KS1 and KS2).
Long Term Impact
To ensure the long term impact on PE provision, during sports coaches have supported teachers with the development of their delivery of PE by:
- Working with us to review our PE scheme of work in line with the new curriculum and to put lessons in place that can be used in the future.
- To review our assessment of PE and enhance this further.
- Every member of staff will observe sports coaches teaching and use this to identify areas of development for their own teaching of PE. This will include a Personal Action Plan that could be worked on with the sports coach.
- The sports coaches’ contract currently costs school approx. £28,000 pa. We plan to continue this in the future.
We have already received overwhelmingly positive responses from parents, pupils and staff to the developments in PE that we have put in place. The profile and quality of sport has risen within and beyond school and over 300 pupils have regularly taken part in extra-curricular sports clubs. We have increased the number of cluster and county sporting events that we participate in and have had increased competitive success.